We believe historic preservation provides an unparalleled opportunity to inform Texans of their collective past for the benefit of present and future generations. To this end, the Friends of the Texas Historical Commission supports the Texas Historical Commission’s efforts to identify, research, document, educate, and promote the cultural heritage of Texas. Particular emphasis is placed on the strength in numbers achieved by empowering community-based preservationists through education, training, consultation, and support.
- That there exists in each community within Texas, a supportive and knowledgeable culture for historic preservation so that together we proactively protect, preserve, learn from, and enjoy our collective past.
- That heritage tourism plays a major role in economic development thus promoting continued preservation for the benefit of present and future generations.
- That the technical expertise of the THC staff will manifest itself in the work of individuals who are passionate about the history of Texas, its land, and its people, inspiring future generations to proactively preserve their piece of Texas history.
- That no part of Texas history is unprotected or untold.
- Preservation is collaborative.
- Preservation is driven by individuals who seek to save a historic place that is personally significant.
- The Texas Historical Commission plays a critical role in the preservation of Texas history by providing technical expertise, learning opportunities, and a support network for preservationists to achieve their goals.
- Philanthropy provides resources for the THC to pursue important preservation projects not funded through state appropriations.
- Public and private funding partnerships for historic preservation are critical to success.
Preserve, protect, and promote historic resources for the use, education, and enjoyment of present and future generations.
Tell the story of Texas through place-based educational opportunities.
Increase visitation and enhance the visitor experience to historic locations across Texas.
Empower the current and future Texas preservation community by building capacity through technical education, training, and mentoring by THC experts.