JOIN US TO PRESERVE THE LEGACY OF THE LONE STAR STATE!
As you know, Texas has an almost-embarrassing trove of historic and cultural treasures. They’re spread across hundreds of thousands of acres—from the beaches of South Padre Island to the high plains of Amarillo, from the forests of Texarkana to the mountains of El Paso. It’s a BIG state with a BIG history and heritage.
It’s our job to protect and preserve that rich legacy wherever it is found—in booming big cities and charming small towns alike.
If you are passionate about seeking out, saving, and leveraging the real places and real stories of your community, the Texas Land Title Association, Phoenix 1 Restoration and Construction, and the Friends of the Texas Historical Commission invite you to join us January 10–12 in Austin for REAL PLACES 2018—a Texas Historical Commission conference focused on preserving, revitalizing, and experiencing the Texas mystique.
Featured speakers include noted Texas writer Joe Nick Patoski, preservation economist Donovan Rypkema, social preservationist Dr. Andrea Roberts, and preservation anarchist Franklin Vagnone. Entertainment will be provided by the legendary Ray Benson (of Asleep at the Wheel) and the Peterson Brothers. (View the full schedule.)
At REAL PLACES 2018 you will:
- Network with Main Street programs, municipal and county governments, County Historical Commissions, chambers of commerce, convention and visitor bureaus, museums and historic sites, preservation organizations, and travel industry experts
- Learn best practices and strategies to promote and increase visitation to your community's historic places
- Understand the power of historic preservation tax credits to revitalize communities
- Hear about the vital role of music and art in cultural tourism and historic preservation
- Embrace historic courthouses and Main Street districts at the heart of many Texas communities
- Empower front-line hospitality representatives as local history experts and regional travel ambassadors
Gain insight and technical advice on design guidelines, historical surveys, narrative-based planning, building materials, historic theaters, and more
See more reasons why you should attend Real Places 2018.
In addition to the regular conference schedule, Real Places 2018 offers special programming and pre-conference tours and workshops for various audiences. The THC’s award-winning Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program will present its annual Texas Courthouse Stewardship Workshop to county officials and facilities managers. The THC will provide training for new Texas Main Street managers and board members, as well as Certified Local Government staff. Aligning these training opportunities enables municipal and county representatives to explore the connections between their various stewardship responsibilities and understand how they directly relate to other preservation and heritage tourism efforts.