Under One Fence: The Land and Legacy of the Waggoner Ranch
The Waggoner Ranch is the largest contiguous ranch in the United States. The story of this land spans multiple generations and even more North Texas counties. What started as a small family endeavor in Hopkins County grew into a true Texas legacy spreading over half a million acres. In 1854, Daniel Waggoner purchased a herd of longhorn cattle and together with his son and family moved to a small farm on Catlett Creek in what is now Wise County. However, the restless Waggoners continued to move further West, locating land on Beaver Creek in Wilbarger County.
The legacy of the ranch has been written by a colorful cast of characters that include the likes of Quanah Parker and Teddy Roosevelt, but none may be as important as the everyday cowboys that continue to work tirelessly ensuring the day-to-day activities of the ranch run smoothly.
Join us as Chairman of the Wilbarger County Historical Commission and Red River Valley Museum board member, Jeff Bearden, walks us through the history of the ranch, using the museum’s exhibit as a helpful guide!