Together in the Sandbox
Board Development for successful Governance, Fundraising, and Sustainability
Nonprofits, especially ones with small or no staff, are only as strong as their boards. In order for a nonprofit to build sustainability, it needs a board that can effectively support its operations, programs, and mission. This requires an engaged board that can provide strong governance guidance, as well as be effective in fundraising.
This 3-day “Together in the Sandbox” workshop will focus on the critical and often overlooked aspect of nonprofit administration – that of board development. The workshop will address the roles and responsibilities of nonprofit boards and will explore:
- The importance of board development in the context of establishing roles and responsibilities, as well as setting goals and expectations for board members.
- How to recruit for appropriate representation as well as for the skills and experience required for governance, so that the board reflects the constituency that the nonprofit is meant to serve and is effective in implementing its mission.
- How to empower board members to be effective fundraisers for the nonprofit by helping them identify their specific role in the development process.
- The relationship between nonprofit boards and staff, both in traditional nonprofits with or without a staff team funded by the non-profit, as well as in non-traditional nonprofits that are staffed by public agency staff.
- Real life examples about the dynamics in each of these situations, and specific governance recommendations that will help the organization accomplish its mission effectively in any of these situations.
- Recommendations on practices and procedures that will ensure that the relationship between board and staff is productive and is consistently in support of the organization’s mission.
- Ways to evaluate board performance to encourage engagement and results.
Dates and Times
September 26th, 2023 – September 28, 2023, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM Central time each day.
ZOOM (details will be send closer to the date of the workshop)
$89 (early bird – until 9/15); $99.00 (regular – registration closes on 9/24).
Fees covers all three days of the workshop.