2019 Application Form and Instructions
Application, official transcripts, and Letters of Reference are due and must be postmarked by March 22, 2019. Applications submitted or postmarked after midnight CST on March 22 cannot be accepted. If selected, in-person or online interviews will be held in April.
Please read the following instructions and application information carefully.
The Preservation Scholars Program seeks to introduce students to the broad range of skills and professions applicable within the field of historic preservation. The Texas Historical Commission is comprised of six divisions. The fact sheets linked below provide information about the responsibilites of each division:
- The Archeology Division works to identify, protect, and preserve Texas' irreplaceable archeological heritage.
- The Architecture Division is dedicated to protecting Texas' diverse architectural heritage.
- The Community Heritage Development Division acts in partnership with communities and regions to revitalize historic areas, stimulate tourism and encourage economic development through the use of preservation strategies.
- The Historic Sites Division is responsible for operating the agency's 22 historic properties throughout the state. These sites tell the real stories of Texas history in authentic settings. Headquarter's staff members provide assistance to field staff in architecture, archeology, collections management, interpretation, and marketing.
- The History Programs Division provides preservation assistance to local governments, state and federal agencies, the state's 254 county historical commissions, museums, nonprofit preservation organizations, volutneers, students, educators, and the general public.
- The Communications Division (Public Information & Education Department) promotes the agency's programs and projects and develops outreach strategies to increase awareness of the agency's mission and purpose.
Refer to the 2019 Preservation Scholars Opportunities for complete list of project descriptions.
Explanatory letters for reference requests can be accessed HERE.
Submit one copy of the completed application. Applications must be completed all at once. The webpage will not save your progress if you leave the page. Incomplete applications or those submitted after the deadline will not be considered.