Apply To Be a Preservation Scholar
The application period for 2023 has now closed.
Please check back in the fall of 2023 for updates about the 2024 application cycle.
If you’re interested in learning how you can apply your degree to historic preservation, the Preservation Scholars Program could be for you! It doesn’t matter if you study history, graphic design, economics, community and regional planning, or accounting.
This program is for you if you:
- Are a student from an underrepresented ethnic or cultural community.
- Attend a college in Texas or are a Texas resident attending school out of state.
- Are a college senior or recent graduate who has been accepted into a graduate program. (Proof of application or acceptance to a graduate program will be required.)
- Will have completed 50 or more credit hours upon starting the internship.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 system or a comparable GPA
- Are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have not been a Preservation Scholar before.
Program completion includes the following:
- A 10-week internship with the Texas Historical Commission
- A project of your choosing
- Working at the Austin headquarters and in the field at historic sites (Select projects may allow remote participation.)
- Weekly “Brown Bag Presentations” with outside preservation organizations
- Brief progress reports throughout the internship and upon conclusion
- A final presentation to our Board of Trustees
- This internship offers a $5,500 stipend
Virtual Information Sessions
Please check back in the fall of 2023 for updates regarding virtual information sessions for our 2024 application cycle.
Questions? Contact us today!Contact Us